The EU-Russia Civil Society Forum e.V. (CSF) is looking for an Advocacy Officer / Advocacy Consultant (AO) for its Secretariat (50% employment, 12 months). The initial appointment is from September 2021 through August 2022. The CSF Secretariat is based in Berlin, Germany.
The EU-Russia Civil Society Forum, founded in March 2011 and bringing together 185 non- governmental organisations in the EU and Russia, is a platform for cooperation of civil society organisations with the purpose to develop common projects and positions, coordinate their activities, and make their voice stronger in interaction with the general public, decision-makers and other stakeholders. CSF promotes people-to-people exchanges and solidarity among civil society groups. It aims to influence EU-Russia relations for the public benefit in a wide range of societal and governmental interactions. The CSF is currently financed by the EU and other public and private donors.
This position is part‐time (50%) with possible extension through the end of 2023. The position is home-based, with preferable location being Strasbourg, Brussels or Berlin. The AO will be responsible for a range of advocacy-related tasks focused around the Council of Europe: building and supporting a coalition of NGOs aimed at the CoE reform, providing advice, communicating, drafting relevant documents, monitoring CoE for advocacy opportunities, etc. The AO will draft narrative reports to donors and management, work along with the CSF Team members, especially CSF Communications and CSF Advocacy Task Force.
Job Description / Main Functions:
- Building up a coalition of civil society actors and stakeholders (representatives of think tanks, other relevant institutions) from the CoE member states to advocate for the CoE reforms.
- Elaborating a strategy on CoE work in 2021-22 (communications/ messaging/ outreach, coalition-building, etc.) and realising it.
- Promoting a concerted vision on the CoE reforms (reflected in a 2021 position paper prepared on behalf of EU-Russia CSF).
- Identifying, establishing and maintaining contact with relevant CoE stakeholders (within PACE, CoM, the Venice Commission, the Conference of INGOs and other CoE bodies) as well as relevant institutions in key member states.
- Organising a Coalition Founding Meeting in summer 2021 (online/ hybrid), liaising with all relevant sub‐contractors/ service providers.
- Organising/ supporting meetings of NGO coalition members with relevant CoE stakeholders, leading on advocacy visits to Strasbourg (virtual/ hybrid/ in-person).
- Acting as a point person for the CSF’s CoE work; working closely with CSF Advocacy Coordinator, CSF Advocacy Task Force and the Forum Executive Director; CSF Team.
- Coordinating finalisation and release of a background publication on the CoE reforms (editing, working with the manuscript, designer, etc.).
- Drafting a variety of advocacy documents, drafting reporting and engaging in development efforts for the Coalition and CoE work.
- Other relevant content-related and managerial tasks related to the CoE and advocacy.
- Proven experience in advocacy, excellent professional record (experience with international NGOs is an advantage).
- Excellent knowledge of the Council of Europe structure and procedures.
- Working contacts with CoE, regional civil society community, national stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritise and plan effectively; responsibility and engagement.
- Initiative and the ability to work both in a team and on their own.
- Good communiсation skills, strong problem‐solving abilities; management experience desirable.
- Excellent written and spoken English, good level of French strongly desirable, knowledge of Russian is a plus.
- Readiness to travel, working flexible hours.
- Valid working permit for the EU / EU member state of current residence.
- 12 months employment (20 hours per week)/ remotely.
- Interesting job in a growing and innovative international organisation, involving interaction with leading non-governmental actors in Europe and Wider Europe.
- Friendly working environment and competent multicultural staff.
- Monthly remuneration of EUR 2,000 (before taxes).
How to apply:
Please send your application before 10 June 2021 (letter of motivation, two references and a CV) to Anna Sevortian, Executive Director of CSF, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The size of each document should not exceed 1 MB. No inquiries, please.
The interviews will be conducted in the third and fourth week of June ONLINE. The introduction will take place through the first working week. For more information, see: www.eu-russia-csf.org