From August to October 2020, “Siberia Without Torture” carried out activities to strengthen organisational resilience and create a safe space for promoting activist and human rights initiatives. 16 webinars were held with the involvement of experts in integrated security (legal, physical, psychological, digital).
Within the framework of the project “Accumulation of Activism in Siberia and the Russian Far East”, comprehensive security events were held for participants from ten Russian regions — Primorye (Vladivostok, Komsomolsk-on-Amur, Khabarovsk), Zabaykalye, the Republic of Buryatia, and Siberian regions (Irkutsk, Tomsk, Novosibirsk regions, Krasnoyarsk and Altai krays). In total, over 100 people participated in the webinars.
The block on digital security was conducted by experts of the project partner, the international human rights organisation “Access Now”. The webinars were also conducted by experts from the Public Verdict Foundation and the international human rights group Agora. Physical security topics were led by experts of the “Siberia Without Torture”, former operational law enforcement officers and specialists working in the field of ensuring and protecting private data using various technical devices.
The topics of webinars:
- Introduction to digital security
- Psychological safety
- Create and store strong passwords
- Legal regulation of the Russian segment of the Internet
- *GDPR / Personal Data Law
- Mobile security
- Basics of investigative activities, types of investigative activities, operational accounting bases
- Social media security
- Activist and human rights defender as an object of collection of operatively significant information
- Full disk encryption
- Protection of significant information using technical devices
- OpenPGP for beginners
- Interrogation of an activist. Interrogation manipulation, psychological calibration.
- The practice of success in cases of fakes in social networks.