Currently, the programme has more than 40 000 schools in 54 countries. Green flag is an exclusive eco-symbol, well-known in Europe and beyond. This award is presented to all educational institutions that are working successfully on the programme for outstanding contribution to the quality of the environment and promotion of sustainable development. The decision to award the green flag was adopted at the national level and approved by the International Coordinator. The flag is awarded for one year. If there are positive achievements in the following year, the flag is awarded again. The higher and secondary educational institutions on the territory of Russia are invited to participate in the programme from this year.
The methodology of the program is established on seven steps, based on standards developed by ISO 4001/EMAS.
Seven Steps to Sustainability:
(1) Creation of the Eco-Schools Committee of the institution (with the participation of students, teachers, technicians, administration officials and other invited persons);
(2) Environmental Review;
(3) Action plan;
(4) Monitoring and evaluation;
(5) Environmental issues in the life of a kindergarten or school courses;
(6) Provision of information and cooperation;
(7) Preparation of the Environmental Code of Conduct.
The programme has four core topics: "Water", "Energy", "Trash", "Climate Change". In most of the participating countries institutions may choose other topics in addition if they find them more relevant to their region or village. A prerequisite is to obtain letters of support from the administration of the local government at any level.
The results of the programme for 2012
School Project "Less garbage" 2011 (only in Russian)
For more information, visit Baikal Environmental Wave
The official website of the international project "Eco-Schools"